The 50th Annual Lone Star Fair & Expo and Rattlesnake Round-Up will be held March 14, 15, and 16 at the Brownwood Coliseum located at 500 East Baker Street.
This event takes place every third weekend in March and is open Friday 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., and Sunday from 12:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. Admission is $3 for adults and $2 for children. Parking will be available in the vacant lot on Washington Street to the side of the Lehnis Railroad Museum, courtesy of BNSF Railway Company. There will be a shuttle service to and from the coliseum provided by the Brownwood Jaycees.
Attractions include the following:
- Carnival : Carnival Americana, who also set up at the West Texas Fair and Rodeo in Abilene and the San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo. Hours of the carnival are Friday 3:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m., Sunday 12:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Tickets are $1 each. All day ride access wrist bands are $20. Most rides take 2-4 tickets.
- Jackie Bibby: World Renowned Daredevil and Texas Snake Man and star of the Animal Planet Show “Rattlesnake Republic.” Bibby will perform many daredevil stunts.
- Jerry Campbell of American Hoggers: Campbell will be present to sign autographs and will be selling merchandise.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not : 11 foot tall man wax statue and other oddities will be set up in the lobby of the coliseum.
- Vendors: A variety of approximately 75 vendors will be available with many different goods including rattlesnake merchandise, arts, crafts and food will be available.
- Longest Snake Contest: Held Sunday at 4:00 p.m. at the coliseum.
- 50th Anniversary Rattlesnake Round-Up Merchandise: T-shirts and hats will be sold beside the Jaycees food booth.
- Jaycees Food Booth: Rattlesnake Chili, Fried Rattlesnake, Sausage on a Stick, Chili Cheese Nachos and Fries, Shaved Ice and Soft Drinks will be available.
- Texas Honey Badger Live Music: Featuring the talent of Bill Kendrick & Bob Brewer
- KBK Martial Arts Team
Thousands of people visit the Lone Star Fair & Expo and Rattlesnake Round-Up each day. The event attracts about 6,000 people over the weekend each year, from all over the nation.
Jackie Bibby has been handling rattlesnakes for over 40 years and started in Brownwood when he was just 20 years old. He has set many world records with his rattlesnake stunts. His records include:
- Holding the most rattlesnakes in mouth (13)
- Laying in a bathtub with the most snakes (195)
- Laying in a sleeping bag with the most rattlesnakes (109)
- Sacking 10 rattlesnakes the fastest (17.11 seconds)
- Head first in a sleeping bag with the most rattlesnakes (24)
There are many opportunities to volunteer during the Rattlesnake Round-Up, which are perfect for volunteer groups of teens or college students to gain service hours. Each volunteer will be given a 50th Annual Rattlesnake Round-Up t-shirt and meal tickets at the Jaycees Food Booth. Contact Jennifer Cullins at 325-998-9702 for general questions and information about volunteering.
Those interested in the Longest Snake contest or selling rattlesnakes can call Patrick McLaughlin at 325-642-6801.
Those interested in vendor spaces may call Ashley McLaughlin at 325-998-3755.
So mark your calendar to attend the Lone Star Fair & Expo and 50th Annual Rattlesnake Round-Up, March 14-16.
Pictured above is “Texas Snake Man” Jackie Bibby wearing a rattlesnake for a hat at a previous rattlesnake round-up in Brownwood.